Marijuana FAQs

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  1. Parents & Neighbors
  1. How old do I have to be to purchase, possess or consume retail marijuana?
    You must be 21 and older to buy, possess or use retail marijuana. It is illegal to give or sell retail marijuana to minors.
    Where am I allowed to consume retail marijuana?
    Retail marijuana is intended for private, personal use. Such use is only legal in certain locations not open or accessible to the public. It is illegal to display, consume or use retail or medical marijuana in any public place to include, but not limited to, public ways, streets, buildings, sidewalks, alleys, parking lots, shopping centers, places of business usually open to the general public.
    Can I consume marijuana in public?
    No, it is illegal to consume marijuana, both retail and medical, in public.

    This includes but is not limited to areas accessible to the public such as transportation facilities, schools, amusement/sporting/music venues, parks, playgrounds, sidewalks and roads and outdoor cafes. It is also illegal to smoke at indoor-but-public locations like bars, restaurants and common areas in buildings.
    Can I possess retail marijuana? And how much?
    Since Amendment 64 went into effect in late 2012, adults 21 and older have been allowed to possess up to 1 ounce of retail marijuana.
    What are the consequences if I violate marijuana laws?
    Penalties range from a fine to a possible jail or prison sentence. Colorado State Statutes and Parker Municipal Code spell out the specific penalties for various violations.
    Schools, universities and employers are allowed to put in place their own disciplinary actions for marijuana-related infractions.
    Are the rules different for possession and consumption of edible marijuana than for marijuana that can be smoked?
    No. Possession laws are the same for all retail marijuana types, and public consumption is always illegal, regardless of form.
    Can I have marijuana in my car?
    Yes. Marijuana may be carried in cars but it may not be in an open container and cannot cross state boundaries. It is illegal to use or consume marijuana in a motor vehicle and it is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana.
    Is there a DUI-like equivalent for driving under the influence of marijuana?
    Yes. It is illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana and it can result in a DUI, just like alcohol. Anyone with 5 nanograms or more of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (known as THC) per milliliter in whole blood (CRS 42-4-1301) while driving can be arrested for DUI. The consequences of DUI is dependent on the driver but they can include fines, jail time and a revoked license.
    Can I take marijuana through airport security or travel out of state with it?
    No. It is illegal to take marijuana across state lines. DIA prohibits possession, use, display, and transfer of all marijuana on its property.
    Do the laws of Parker apply elsewhere?
    Parker ordinances only apply within the Town of Parker. Please go to each city or county’s web site to determine specific marijuana sale and consumption laws.
    What are the health effects of using retail marijuana?
    For information about the health impacts of retail marijuana use, please visit Colorado's Department of Public Health & Environment page on this topic.